All Categories
Football
Other Sports
General
Blog
Sports Extra

Will Taiwo Awoniyi ever play for Liverpool? Join the conversation

Taiwo%20Awoniyi

When Taiwo Awoniyi signed for Liverpool after participating at the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup, several Nigerians were optimistic of his chances to represent one of the best teams in the world. Fast forward four years after, he is yet to make his first competitive appearance for the Reds.

Awoniyi had another impressive season, but it was not a shock when Liverpool announced that he has linked up with German side FSV Mainz on a one-year loan deal. Since he joined Liverpool, Awoniyi has been loaned to German side FSV Frankfurt, Dutch side NEC Nijmegen and also had stints with Belgian clubs, KAA Gent and Royal Excel Mouscron.

Liverpool are the reigning UEFA Champions League winners, there is pressure on Jurgen Klopp to get the most of his players and build a winning structure. Hence the developmental approach to through the first team has been abandoned.
Still only 21, Awoniyi is progressing in his career, and does not bring anything to the team that Roberto Firmino and Divock Origi cannot offer in the center forward position. Another obstacle to making his first appearance for Liverpool is that he is yet to play for the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

Time will tell on Liverpool’s plans for Awoniyi, the most likely outcome will be that he impresses on loan and they cash in on him. However, we have seen time and again during the season injuries set in and emergence replacements are requested. Do you think Awoniyi will play for Liverpool in the future? Join the conversation

I don’t see him play for liverpool. First needs to play for the eagles and then impress in his loan club. Then he will be in contention to be squad player and I don’t see that happen anytime soon. So runs out his contract with Liverpool and move on with his career elsewhere. My thought.